Sunday, February 14, 2010

Why I Eat Children

I was so outrageously irritated earlier this week with some of the kids that live in my apartments. They are so loud screeching and whatever impossibly earsplitting sounds that my poor dogs can probably only hear. Running and hitting the walls, and slamming the rod iron grate. I think this all happened when those creepy bleach blonde boys that look like the children from the corn moved in across the way, because the little girls that played outside at first were ok. At least they weren’t always by my window. But nonetheless I woke up wanting to eat all their children that day!!! Bahhhh
I swear it seems that the minute I want to take a nap after a long day of school and still have much more work to do later on and want to try to catch up some sleep that I missed out on last night, the kids have to be playing outside. Every. Single. Time. It doesn’t fail.
I’ve even tried to take naps at different times of the day. I’d take one earlier on in the day, because they usually go out around three (the time of the day I feel the most tired of course). Did it work? Honestly… sort of, but not enough so that I could keep up with that sort of schedule because one, I’m usually not as tired before three, and two, they either come out right in the middle of my nap or ruin the end of it. Then I tried sleeping in a different room. I tried napping in the living room but even then the noise was still loud enough through the pillow I was trying to suffocate my hearing with. Not to mention my sliding glass doors let in too much light. And besides I should be able to sleep in my own bed. I even tried taking a nap on a rainy day when I figured the parents wouldn’t let their kids out to play. But noooooo the second I lay my head down the craziness began. Seriously! Who lets their kids out on a cold ass rainy day!?
So… I finally remember to buy some damn ear plugs at the store when I went. And come nap time, I was so excited! I put ‘em in and it was amazingly quiet. When I got up from my nap, my friend asked me if I had slept ok and I said yeah it really helped with the noise. And I asked her if the kids played outside while I slept. No she told me. Of course. Go fucking figure. Bahh

2 comments:

  1. Jen, this blog entry cracked me up. I live in an apartment complex too and I can totally relate to the annoying children who won’t be quiet right outside your door. In my complex there is one kid who likes to dribble a basketball 4 feet outside my door. It was cute the first time I heard it but after a few weeks, that constant thumping, for hours every day, got really irritating. I really enjoyed your analogy to the children looking like they came out of Children of the Corn. It really helped me to visualize your frustration with them. Why is it that little girls always seem so much quieter and more self contained when they play? It is usually the boys that are making all the noise and distracting everyone in the area. It is unfortunate that right when we get tired, around 3pm, they get home from school. I guess it is just one of the challenges of being a college student. Hopefully someday we can afford to get our own houses so that kids are not able to play and make noise three feet away from our windows ha ha ha. Also that is really ironic about the ear plugs. It seems like a good example of Murphy’s Law. As soon as you decide to prepare yourself, you learn it is unnecessary. Oh well, at least the next time they decide to yell outside your window during prime time nap hour, you can whip out the ear plugs and they can be as loud as they want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well hopefully the earplugs work when there actually is noise. I know how you feel about noise being right outside your door. I live in the dorms and I hear my crazy drunk neighbors and their friends all the time running down the hall. I understand when its the weekend and they are being noisy (although I don't understand why they don't go out). Last night they had been drinking and never made it out. Instead they just ran up and down the halls being really loud. It is also a lot of work for their guy friends to go down the other hall to use the bathroom so they just come use the girls. It's weird random drunk guys in the girls bathroom when its only nine on a saturday night. Eventually I left so I didn't have to hear the noise and I was gone for a lot of today. My roommate said that they decided to drink all day today as well and were just as loud and obnoxious. Don't these people have homework to do? Sunday is my homework and study day so I try to get all of my work done that I need to for the week ahead. I just don't understand because these people are over pretty much every day making noise. I mean they should have to do work at some point. I don't even live in arizona sonora or coranado. They are the only noisy people. At least I can tell them to be quiet. Some might judge if you yelled at a bunch of kids for playing. I wouldn't blame you though.

    ReplyDelete